Mobile Computing (MC)

Course content

The course gives an overview of mobile, ubiquitous, and wearable computing interfaces, including commercial devices such as mobile phones, smart watches, augmented reality glasses, smart speakers and other home devices, as well as research interfaces such as public displays, smart jewelry, or body-based user interfaces. The course sheds light on two fundamental aspects of mobile computing: (1) the technological foundations of mobile computing interfaces; and (2) the user interface requirements for such novel computing interfaces.


MSc Programme in Computer Science

Learning outcome

The course contains advanced material on both technological foundations and interaction styles on mobile interfaces. After taking this class, you will be able to exhibit…

Knowledge of

  • Challenges particular to mobile, wearable, and ubiquitous user interfaces.
  • Current research aimed at solving those challenges.

Skills in

  • Building prototypes of software and/or hardware to solve challenges in mobile, wearable, and ubiquitous computing.
  • Designing and performing evaluations of prototypes.

Competences in

  • Designing applications to solve a range of interaction challenges for mobile, wearable, and ubiquitous devices and scenarios.
  • Selecting appropriate measures for evaluating such applications.


Lectures will alternate between technical foundations and user interface challenges. During some of the lectures, students will give presentations on topics related to class, and their progress on their projects (developing and evaluating a mobile/​wearable/​ubiquitous device prototype).

See Absalon for a list of selected scientific papers and book chapters.


It is strongly suggested that students have participated in a fundamental Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) course, e.g., Interaction Design. Advanced Topics in Human-Centered Computing (ATHCC) is also relevant.

Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree is recommended.

Continuous feedback during the course of the semester
Feedback by final exam (In addition to the grade)
7,5 ECTS
Type of assessment
Written assignment, during course
On-site written exam, 4 hours under invigilation
Type of assessment details
Specifically, the exam consists of two elements:

1. A group project developed during the course and documented with a report wherein the individual contributions are stated (60%) (written assignment)
2. A 4-hour written exam (40%) (written examination under invigilation)

The project is 60% of the grade and the written examination is the remaining 40%. However, both elements of the exam must be passed to pass the exam, i.e. each element must achieve at least the grade 02.

It is not possible to reuse elements of the exam at a later exam. It is however possible to resubmit a revised project report.
All aids allowed
Marking scale
7-point grading scale
Censorship form
No external censorship
Several internal examiners

Same as ordinary exam.

For the re-exam the student must submit a new report or resubmit an edited version of the group report no later than three weeks before the re-exam.

Criteria for exam assessment

In order to earn the grade 12, students must demonstrate the knowledge, skills and competences described in the Learning Outcome.

Single subject courses (day)

  • Category
  • Hours
  • Lectures
  • 24
  • Preparation
  • 32
  • Practical exercises
  • 32
  • Project work
  • 100
  • Exam
  • 18
  • English
  • 206


Course number
7,5 ECTS
Programme level
Full Degree Master

1 block

Block 4
No limitation – unless you register in the late-registration period (BSc and MSc) or as a credit or single subject student.
Study Board of Mathematics and Computer Science
Contracting department
  • Department of Computer Science
Contracting faculty
  • Faculty of Science
Course Coordinator
  • Daniel Lee Ashbrook   (3-726f7c4e72773c79833c7279)
Saved on the 14-02-2024

Are you BA- or KA-student?

Are you bachelor- or kandidat-student, then find the course in the course catalog for students:

Courseinformation of students