Clinical Course in Ophthalmology in English
The purpose of the course is to equip the student with theoretical and practical competencies enabling him or her to manage patients with ophthalmological problems in A&E (accident and emergency department) and general practice.
MSc in Medicine
At the end of the course the students are expected to know the following:
As a medical expert, as a health advocate and as a professional.
- For common eye diseases
- summarize the epidemiology, explain the pathophysiology, describe the symptoms and indicate methods of investigation, and explain treatment options and prognosis.
- master the premonitory signs of retinal detachment, acute glaucoma, and wet age-related macular degeneration.
- recognize eye damage and referring correctly.
- Explain how to diagnose and treat eye disorders that can be treated without referral to the ophthalmic specialty.
- Summarize the importance of screening for diabetic retinopathy, as well as impaired vision and strabismus in children.
- Explain the vision requirements for driving licenses, and for putting children and young people onto the visual impairment register.
- Independently perform basic specialist-oriented physical examinations focusing on the patient's symptom or complaint.
- Independently measure visual acuity with and without spectacle correction, perform confrontational visual field exam, assess colour vision with Ishihara's colour boards, assess externa, globe position, alignment and motility (this to include distinguishing between paralytic and non-paralytic strabismus), assess the symmetry of light reflection using the Hirschberg test, examine pupil reaction to light, assess the depth of the anterior chamber using a pen light, distinguish between different types of red eye and folding the upper eyelid over a cotton swab.
- Assess retrobulbar resistance and intraocular pressure (bi-digital palpation) and visualising the red reflex, blood vessels and papilla by ophthalmoscopy of the eye with dilated pupil and clear media.
- Independently administer eye drops and eye ointment, perform eye washes and apply shielding eye dressings.
In various ophthalmological clinical scenarios, state whether referral to an ophthalmologist or eye department is indicated, and where appropriate, whether this should be done acutely by phone.
Lectures and classroom instruction
Course certificate in Clinical Course in Internal Medicine
Course certifictae in Clinical Course in Surgery
Course certificate in Patient Safety and Quality Development
The course will be assessed by the "Exam in Ophthalmology
For questions regarding teaching, teaching facilities, and exam please see http://sund.ku.dk/kontakt/medarbejdere/aus-medarbejderoversigt/
- 2,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Type of assessment details
- Course certificate is achieved on the basis of satisfactory course participation.
- Marking scale
- passed/not passed
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
One internal assessor
Criteria for exam assessment
To obtain the assessment passed and thereby gain course certificate the student must demonstrate the following abilities at a sufficient level:
As medical expert, as health advocate and as professional
- Explain the requirements for visual function in the context of motoring and vocational activities.
- Explain the way eye diseases manifest themselves in the case of disease elsewhere in the body.
- Diagnose the acute/subacute life-threatening conditions and blindness.
- Diagnose and treat the most common infectious and allergic eye diseases.
- Diagnose the more common eye diseases and be informed about their treatment.
- Assess the eye diseases that can be prevented by timely action.
- Class Instruction
- Course number
- 2,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
- Autumn And Spring
Please see Syllabus
- The Study Board for Medicine and Health Science
- Department of Clinical Medicine
- Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
- Peter Bjerre Toft (17-736877687531656d6875756831777269774375686a6c72716b31676e)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students