Geometric Topology (GeomTop)
The course covers various topics in the area of algebraic and geometric topology, such as Poincaré duality, characteristic classes, or foundations of differential topology.
MSc Programme in Mathematics
MSc Programme in Mathematics with a minor subject
- Knowledge: To display knowledge of the course topics and content, at the level of a beginning researcher.
- Skills: To be able to use the acquired knowledge to perform computations.
- Competencies: To be able to produce independent proofs in extension of the acquired knowledge.
4 hours lectures and 3 hours exercise session per week for 9 weeks.
Example of course literature:
Introduction to Differential Topology by Bröcker and Jänich, Characteristic Classes by Milnor and Stasheff, Differential Forms in Algebraic Topology by Bott and Tu, and parts of the textbook Algebraic Topology by Allen Hatcher.
Algebraic Topology (AlgTop) or equivalent is strongly
recommended. Homological Algebra (HomAlg) or equivalent is also
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree are recommended.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Type of assessment details
- Weekly homework counting 50 % towards the grade and a 2 hours 'closed-book' final in-class problem set counting 50 % of the grade.
- Only certain aids allowed
All aids allowed for the weekly homework. No books and no electronic aids are allowed for the 2 hours final exam. Only personally created handwritten notes on paper are allowed.
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
One internal examiner.
Criteria for exam assessment
The student should convincingly and accurately demonstrate the knowledge, skills and competences described under Intended learning outcome.
Single subject courses (day)
- Theory exercises
- Course number
- 7,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
- Block 3
- No limit.
The number of seats may be reduced in the late registration period
- Study Board of Mathematics and Computer Science
- Department of Mathematical Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Søren Galatius (8-6a646f64776c7876437064776b316e7831676e)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students