Programming, Customization and Automation in GIS
Students aiming for higher technical expertise within Geographical Information Systems (GIS) will need to master a certain level of programming and related techniques for creating customized GIS functionality and/or interfaces. This is also relevant when handling and analysing large datasets.
This course is designed to make powerful scripting and programming tools in GIS available for those who have only little or no experience writing code. The course contains two major parts; the first part introduces a relevant programming language (pt Python) and the second part focus on applications within a GIS environment. This includes scripts for automation, analysis and data management procedures in GIS as well as development of suitable user interfaces for these scripts.
MSc Programme in Geography and Geoinformatics
MSc Programme in Geography and Geoinformatics with a minor subject
Basic programming skills in the context of an open source programming language. Application programming in a GIS environment, using programming scripts as tools for spatial analysis, automation and data management. Development of user interfaces for specific user groups and specific tasks. Management of databases and geodatabases.
- explain theoretical concepts in basic programming,
- use and manage databases and geodatabases in a GIS environment,
- implement solutions in GIS, using a specific programming language,
- access the suitability of user interface and ability to modify these interfaces to specific purposes,
- make scripts for automation of processes that need to be repeated often,
- programming applications for spatial analysis.
Access, analyse and use programming as a tool for maintenance and operation of a Geographical Informations System, as well as making scripts for analysis and presentations in GIS.
The form of teaching is exercises combined with ad hoc lectures. For the teaching plan, please see Absalon.
Please see Absalon
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree is recommended.
During the course there is continous oral feedback from the teacher related to the computer-based exercises. The feedback concerns among other things the applied methods, the obtained results and the final presentation.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
Oral examination, 20 minWritten assignment, Ongoing preparation throughout the course
- Type of assessment details
- The written assignment is prepared during the course and must be handed in prior to the exam week. The oral exam uses the written assignment as its point of departure. It includes the titles listed in the officially approved reading list. A combined grade is given after the oral exam.
- Without aids
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners.
Criteria for exam assessment
Please see learning outcomes.
Single subject courses (day)
- Practical exercises
- Course number
- 7,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
- Block 4
The number of seats may be reduced in the late registration period
- Study Board of Geosciences and Management
- Department of Geoscience and Natural Resource Management
- Faculty of Science
- Lasse Møller-Jensen (3-7b7c794f78767d3d7a843d737a)
Lasse Møller-Jensen & Thomas Balstrøm
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students