This course comprises of basic instruction in Kiswahili.
The main objective of the course is to give the students skills in Kiswahili, as well as broaden their knowledge concerning the language to enable students to express themselves understandably in Kiswahili. Working with the relevant texts and dialogues will give the student competencies in analyzing texts, generally, and at the same time enable the student to get a deeper understanding of the cultural dimensions of life associated with Kiswahili speaking peoples, details of which are clearly described in the texts and dialogues. The students will get a wider understanding of relevant culture and history, which is a key element to their learning to use the language. Students will acquire the ability to translate Kiswahili into English at a beginner level and vice versa, as well as be able to identify the most important differences in the two languages.
MA in African Studies
The aim is for the student to acquire the following qualifications:
- Mastery of the language at a basic level – to read and translate texts.
- Knowledge and understanding of how language and texts may be described and analyzed
- Develop critical skills in the close reading and analysis of short texts and dialogues
- Analyze texts and define their constituent parts.
Teaching with class participation.
Passed a minimum of 120 ECTS on BA-level
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
Oral examination, 30 min.
- Type of assessment details
- The exam takes the form of an oral exam at the end of the teaching period. The exam lasts 15 minutes including assessment, with 15 minutes of preparation time and access to specified reference works.
- Marking scale
- completed/not completed
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Single subject courses (day)
- Class Instruction
- Exam Preparation
- Course number
- 7,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
BachelorBachelor choiceFull Degree Master choicePart Time Master
First lesson is in week 36
- Study board of African Studies
- African Studies
- Faculty of Theology
- Ramadhani Kassim (2-756e437768726f316e7831676e)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students