Optional Clinical Course in Dermatology and Venereology in English
The purpose of the course is to equip the student with theoretical and practical competencies comprising prevention, diagnosis, medical and surgical treatment of the diseases of the skin, hair, and nails, and of the sexually transmitted diseases.
Msc in Medicine
At the end of the course the students are expected to know the following:
As a medical expert, as an academic, as a health advocate and as a professional.
- To describe the symptoms and signs of skin diseases by correct,
dermatological terminology, including
- defining the clinical types of skin changes
- understanding the concept of primary and secondary skin changes
- using dermatological terminology and describe localization, distribution and types of skin changes
- capturing relevant medical history and symptoms.
- To explain the principles and the indications for the
diagnostic tests used in dermato-venerology, including
- simple diagnostic tests such as punch skin biopsies and sampling for microbiological investigation
- light microscopy for gonorrhea and non-gonococcal urethritis
- immunofluorescence for bullous diseases, epicutaneous (patch) tests and skin prick tests.
- To describe the principles of topical treatments, including
- mechanism of action, classification, indications, contraindications and side effects of topical glucocorticoids
- topical antibiotics, antifungal and antiviral agents
- topical treatment for acne, rosacea, premalignant conditions and use of calcineurin inhibitors
- indications and contraindications for phototherapy: UVB and PUVA
- To explain the basic mechanisms and describe indications and
contraindications for the following systemic treatments of skin
- antibiotic treatment of bacterial infections
- systemic antifungal and antiviral agents
- anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive agents: glucocorticoides, methotrexate, cyclosporine, azathioprine
- biological treatment.
- To describe simple surgical procedures including
- To explain the structure and function of the immune system of
the skin and the immunopathogenesis of common skin diseases such
- atopic dermatitis
- contact dermatitis
- bullous pemphigoid
- To summarize the importance of ultraviolet radiation as a
carcinogen and succinctly describe the molecular pathogenesis of
skin cancer, including
- basal cell carcinoma
- squamous cell carcinoma
- malignant melanoma
- To describe epidemiology of skin cancer, contact dermatitis, chronic wounds and sexually transmitted diseases and to discuss the role of general practitioner in preventing these diseases
- To be aware of the skin diseases that are acute and severe, and to describe their initial treatment
- To summarize systemic signs and complications of autoimmune skin diseases focusing on the role of the general practitioner in diagnosing and treating of the cardiovascular, psychological and rheumatological comorbidities
- To describe characteristic and common skin manifestations of systemic diseases including medical reactions to systemic therapies.
- To demonstrate practical knowledge allowing to diagnose and
treat common skin diseases and sexually transmitted diseases,
- the diagnostic criteria, course and prognosis for each disease
- initial treatment of uncomplicated cases of skin diseases
- criteria for referral to a specialist.
Lectures and classroom instruction
Course certificate in Clinical Course in Internal Medicine
Course certifictae in Clinical Course in Surgery
Course certificate in Patient Safety and Quality Development
The course will be assessed by the "Exam in Dermatology and
Venereology in English"
For questions regarding teaching, teaching facilities, and exam please see http://sund.ku.dk/
- 2,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Type of assessment details
- Course certificate is achieved on the basis of satisfactory course participation.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- passed/not passed
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
One internal assessor
Criteria for exam assessment
To obtain the assessment “passed” and thereby obtain course certificate the student must demonstrate the abilities listed below.
As medical expert, as health advocate and as professional:
- To explain the pathophysiology, including etiology and pathogenesis of common dermatological and sexually transmitted diseases
- To describe epidemiology and prevention of common dermatological and sexually transmitted diseases
- To know which diseases are serious or life-threatening
- To describe biopsy techniques for routine histology and
immunofluorescence, sampling for viruses, techniques for scabies
diagnosis, epicutaneous testing and skin prick testing.
- To obtain medical history and perform physical examinations for dermatological and venereal diseases
- To perform a venereological examination
- To diagnose and treat common skin and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Class Instruction
- Course number
- 2,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
- Autumn And Spring
Please see Syllabus
- The Study Board for Medicine and Health Science
- Department of Clinical Medicine
- Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
- Ditte Marie Lindhardt Saunte (4-676c76644375686a6c7271766d64686f6f64716731676e)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students