Geometric Topology (GeomTop)
The course covers various topics in the area of algebraic and geometric topology, such as Poincaré duality, characteristic classes, or foundations of differential topology.
MSc Programme in Mathematics
MSc Programme in Mathematics with a minor subject
- Knowledge: To display knowledge of the course topics and content, at the level of a beginning researcher.
- Skills: To be able to use the acquired knowledge to perform computations.
- Competencies: To be able to produce independent proofs in extension of the acquired knowledge.
4 hours lectures and 3 hours exercise session per week for 9 weeks.
Example of course literature:
Introduction to Differential Topology by Bröcker and Jänich, Characteristic Classes by Milnor and Stasheff, Differential Forms in Algebraic Topology by Bott and Tu, and parts of the textbook Algebraic Topology by Allen Hatcher.
Algebraic Topology (AlgTop) or equivalent is strongly
recommended. Homological Algebra (HomAlg) or equivalent is also
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree are recommended.
The course is identical to the discontinued course NMAA13029U
Algebraic Topology 1.5: Cohomology (AlgTop 1.5). Therefore you
cannot register for NMAK21000U - Geometric Topology (GeomTop), if
you have already passed NMAA13029U Algebraic Topology 1.5:
Cohomology (AlgTop 1.5).
If you are registered with examination attempts in NMAA13029U Algebraic Topology 1.5: Cohomology (AlgTop 1.5) without having passed the course, you have to use your last examination attempts to pass the exam in NMAK21000U - Geometric Topology (GeomTop). You have a total of three examination attempts.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Type of assessment details
- Weekly homework counting 50 % towards the grade and a 2 hours 'closed-book' final in-class problem set counting 50 % of the grade.
- Only certain aids allowed
All aids allowed for the weekly homework. No books and no electronic aids are allowed for the 2 hours final exam. Only personally created handwritten notes on paper are allowed.
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
One internal examiner.
Criteria for exam assessment
The student must in a satisfactory way demonstrate that they have mastered the learning outcome of the course.
Single subject courses (day)
- Theory exercises
- Course number
- 7,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
- Block 3
- No limit.
The number of seats may be reduced in the late registration period
- Study Board of Mathematics and Computer Science
- Department of Mathematical Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Søren Galatius (8-706a756a7d727e7c49766a7d7137747e376d74)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students