Categories and Topology (CatTop)
Topics in algebraic topology centered around the use of categories in homotopy theory and simplicial methods. Topics include simplicial sets, nerves of categories, classifying spaces, homotopy (co)limits, localization and completion.
MSc Programme in Mathematics
MSc Programme in Mathematics with a minor subject
- Knowledge: To display knowledge of the course topics and content, at the level of a beginning researcher.
- Skills: To be able to use the acquired knowledge to perform computations.
- Competencies: To be able to produce independent proofs in
the acquired knowledge.
4 hours lectures and 4 hours exercises per week for 9 weeks.
In previous years lecture notes were used. It will be aimed to make these notes available from Absalon and/or the lecturers homepage.
Knowledge of foundational algebraic topology, corresponding to
roughly Chapter 1-5 in Hatcher's book "Algebraic
Topology", along a familiarity with basic homological algebra
is assumed. These qualifications can e..g, be obtained through the
UCPH courses AlgTop, HomAlg and AlgTopII.
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree is recommended.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Type of assessment details
- Written exercises, handed in weekly, whose totality will determine the final grade.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
One internal examiner
Criteria for exam assessment
The student must in a satisfactory way demonstrate that he/she has mastered the learning outcome.
Single subject courses (day)
- Theory exercises
- Course number
- 7,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
- Block 1
- No limit
The number of seats may be reduced in the late registration period
- Study Board of Mathematics and Computer Science
- Department of Mathematical Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Jesper Grodal (2-6f6c457266796d33707a336970)
- Andrea Bianchi (4-6370646b426f63766a306d7730666d)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students