Cancelled Mathematical Physics (MatFys)
A. Classical mechanics: A1. Newtonian mechanics. A2. Calculus of variations and Lagrangian mechanics, including Noether's theorem. A3. Legendre-Fenchel transform and Hamiltonian mechanics, including Liouville's theorem.
B. Quantum mechanics: B1. Hilbert space theory. B2. Operators on Hilbert space, including basic spectral theory. B3. The quantum mechanical formalism, including the Schrödinger representation, the momentum representation, and Fourier transformation. B4. The free particle, the harmonic oscillator and the hydrogen atom.
BSc Programme in Physics
At the end of the course the students are expected to have acquired the following knowledge and associated tool box:
- the mathematical formulation of clasical mechanics
- the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics
- symmetries and transformations, e.g., the Galillei transformation
- the fundamental theorems on Hilbert spaces
- properties of simple bounded and unbounded operators
- the free Laplace operator and elementary properties of its spectral theory
- be able to work rigorously with problems from classical mechanics
- be able to work rigorously with problems from quantum mechanics
- be able to determine the spectrum of simple bounded and unbounded operators with discrete spectrum
- be able to rigorously analyze the quantum harmonic oscillator and/or the hydrogen atom
Competences: The course aims at training the students in representing, modelling and handling physical problems by mathematical concepts and techniques.
5 hours of lectures and 4 hours of exercises per week for 9 weeks.
Introduktion til matematik (MatIntro) and Lineær Algebra (LinAlg) or similar. Analysis 0 (An0) or Analysis 1 (An1) or similar will be an advantage. The course also requires prerequisites in physics corresponding to the A-level for physics in high school.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Type of assessment details
- The students' performance will be evaluated on the basis of three assignments during the course, the last one being a mini project in week 9. When calculating the final mark, the three assignments are weighted equally.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
One internal examiner
Criteria for exam assessment
The student must in a satisfactory way demonstrate that he/she has mastered the learning outcome.
Single subject courses (day)
- Theory exercises
- Course number
- 7,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Block 2
- No limit
The number of seats may be reduced in the late registration period
- Study Board of Mathematics and Computer Science
- Department of Mathematical Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Albert H. Werner (6-6a7885817885538074877b417e8841777e)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students