Geological Evolution Based on Interpretation and Integration of Reflection Seismic and Wireline Log Data
In this course, the students learn how to understand sub-surface geology by integration and interpretation of digital reflection seismic and wireline log data using professional software at workstations. The seismic data is interpreted by the method “seismic stratigraphic interpretation” that can be used to interpret e.g. reflections seismic data, high resolution seismic (sparker and Chirp) and GPR (Ground Penetrating Radar) data. The wireline log data (e.g. Gamma-ray, Sonic, Density, Porosity and Resistivity) are interpreted using principles of wireline log interpretation e.g. electrosequence analysis. The combination of the two methods allows for an understanding of the 3D sub-surface structures and the lithology
The course is based on interpretation of reflection seismic data, theoretical and practical aspects of reflection seismic interpretation and interpretation of wireline log, theoretical and practical aspects of wireline log interpretation leading to an integrated interpretation of digital seismic and wireline data in a geological basin.
- Theoretical and practical aspects of interpretation of digital reflection seismic data on workstation
- Theoretical and practical aspects of interpretation of digital wireline log data on workstation-
- Integrated interpretation of digital seismic and wireline log data
- Demonstrate an overview of the usage of reflection seismic interpretation and wireline log data to investigate the sub-surface geology
- Demonstrate an overview of various geological structures e.g. saltstructures, erosion channels, faults, extension and compression tectonics, basalt e.g. plateau basalt
- Demonstrate integration of reflection seismic data and wireline log data in a joint interpretation
- Interpret seismic profiles, construct depth- and thickness map and outline the geological evolution of a basin
- Lithological interpretation of wireline logs based on electrosequence analysis, construction of cross-plots and histograms
- Understand and work with reflection seismic methods by usage of seismic stratigraphy
- Interpretation of seismic surveys by loop interpretation, pitfalls in seismic interpretation, attribute analysis, and construction of depth and thickness maps
- Understand the principles of interpreting standard wireline logs (Gamma-ray, Sonic, Density, Porosity, Resistivity and Caliper logs) by electrosequence analysis, lithology reconstruction from wireline logs, interpretation of cross-plots and histogram.
- Demonstrate full understanding of the integration the two methods to describe the geological evolution of a study area
- Have an overview of the potential of using reflection seismic and wireline log interpretation to studies of the sub-surface of the Earth at both near surface, shallow, intermediate and deep levels.
The form of teaching is lectures combined with small exercises and an assignment based on a case study. For the teaching plan, please see Absalon
Please see Absalon course page.
BSc in Geology-Geoscience or equivalent is recommended.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
Written assignment, During courseOral examination, 20 minutes
- Type of assessment details
- The written assignment is prepared during the course and must be handed in prior to the exam week. The oral exam uses the written assignment as its point of departure. It includes the titles listed in the officially approved reading list. A combined grade is given after the oral exam.
- Without aids
All aids allowed when working on the written assignment.
No aids allowed at the oral examination. The students can bring a copy of handed in report.
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- External censorship
Criteria for exam assessment
Please see learning outcome
Single subject courses (day)
- Course number
- 7,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
- Block 3
The number of seats may be reduced in the late registration period
- Study Board of Geosciences and Management
- Department of Geoscience and Natural Resource Management
- Faculty of Science
- Lars Ole Boldreel (3-7b7e714f78767d3d7a843d737a)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students