The Dynamics of City Regions: Social and Economic Change
Cities and city regions are fundamental places in modern societies. They are essential places of living and vital places for innovation, production and creativity. The course studies contemporary economic changes of city-regions by focusing on urban and regional development. Focus is on the rise of the post-industrial knowledge economy and the new economic and social geographies, the new divisions of labour and social classes and how these are linked to urban restructuring.
MSc programme in Geography and Geoinformatics
MSc programme in Geography and Geoinformatics with a minor subject
City regions, creative cities, knowledge economy, innovation, labour and human capital, divisions of labour and social classes, industrial localisation, new urban spaces, amenities and urban growth, strategic planning.
- Explain and analyse the central economic and social changes and geographical consequences of the current transformation using key concepts, central theoretical perspectives and empirical material including
- Analyse the transformation of cities and city regions using key theories, concepts and empirically material.
Assess and apply results, methods, theory and data in connection with the dynamics of city regions.
The form of teaching is theory exercises combined with ad hoc lectures. For the teaching plan, please see Absalon.
Please see Absalon course page.
BSc in Geography and Geoinformatics or equivalent.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
Written assignment, during courseOral examination, 20 minutes
- Type of assessment details
- The written assignment is prepared during the course and must be handed in prior to the exam week. The oral exam uses the written assignment as its point of departure. It includes the titles listed in the officially approved reading list. The oral examination is without preparation. A combined grade is given after the oral exam.
- Without aids
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners.
Criteria for exam assessment
Please see learning outcomes.
Single subject courses (day)
- Theory exercises
- Course number
- 7,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
- Block 1
The number of seats may be reduced in the late registration period
- Study Board of Geosciences and Management
- Department of Geoscience and Natural Resource Management
- Faculty of Science
- Høgni Kalsø Hansen (2-56764e77757c3c79833c7279)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students