Advanced Plant Identification
Critical identification of vascular plants to species, with focus on the Danish flora.
MSc Programme in Biology
MSc Programme in Biology with a minor subject
- Overview over botanical terminology and available
tools for identification of Danish plants, experience in
critical use of identification literature
- To correctly identify Danish plants to species by use of relevant determination keys and taxon descriptions
- To have a good overview of systematics and species delimitation in Danish vascular plants
- To understand the appropriate use of vascular plants in bio-indication
- To be able to safely arrive at the correct identity of Danish vascular plants
- To enable the use of plant identification in conservation surveillance, nature management and dissemination of plant diversity.
Field course day-time excursions and evening exercises. In addition, independent field project work.
“Dansk flora”, 2nd edition, by S. Frederiksen, F. N. Rasmussen & O. Seberg (2012) is compulsory and the addition of "Nordens Flora" by Mossberg & Stenberg (2020) is strongly recommended.
For additional literature - see Absalon
The course expands the compulsory courses Diversity of Organisms
and Field Course II (biology), but these courses are not a
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree is recommended.
The course is based on the use of identification tools in
Please note that the students pay a supplement to the course expenses covering part of the food costs and transportation. Approximately DKK 750.
Oral, individual and collective feedback during the field course
Written, individual feedback by final exam (In addition to the grade)
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
Written assignment, 1 week
- Type of assessment details
- Electronic report
The report consists of documentation of the identification work done in terms of notes and illustrations - photographs or similar - of the diagnostic characters observed and used in the identification work
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
One internal examiner.
Criteria for exam assessment
In order to obtain the grade 12 the student should convincingly and accurately demonstrate the knowledge, skills and competences described under Learning Outcome.
Single subject courses (day)
- Practical exercises
- Project work
- Course number
- 7,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
1 blockIn 2023 the field course will take place from: Monday 3 July - Saturday 8 July and the independent assignment to be from 10-14 July.
The course will take place at Trente Mølle at Fåborg.
The number of seats may be reduced in the late registration period
- Study Board for the Biological Area
- Department of Biology
- Faculty of Science
- Hans Henrik Bruun (7-4b4b457578787143656c72316e7831676e)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students