Individual Project in Bioinformatics
The exact content is decided with the supervisor.
MSc Programme in Bioinformatics
The aim of these projects is to get deeply into a bioinformatics
topic, often related to a research project. This is often used as a
warm-up for the Master’s project.
Students completing the course will be able to:
- motivate their work, clearly present the background information, methods and results of the work without errors, discuss the implications of the results and draw scientifically sound conclusions based on the work.
- search for relevant literature and understand the relevant parts.
- write a project in a scientifically precise way with adequate references.
- present the work.
- answer questions about any part of the project in reasonable depth and explain the core methods and results of the project in great detail.
- put the work in context and discuss possible future directions
of research in the area and judge the relevance of such work.
The aim with these projects is to get a deep understanding of a bioinformatics topic often related to a research project. This is often used as a warm-up for the Master’s project. The exact content is decided with the supervisor.
- Write a bioinformatics report
- Search for background material
- Select and use relevant bioinformatics tools for a specific project
The student will obtain these general competences:
- Ability to do project work
- Writing a scientific report
- Analyze complex real-world problems
Individual project with a supervisor.
All the mandatory courses in the bioinformatics program.
Knowledge within bioinformatics. Programming at least at the level of “Linux and Python Programming” is recommended.
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree is recommended.
You have to find a project topic and a supervisor before the start of the block. If your supervisor is external (not in Bioinformatics at Department of Biology or at DIKU), you also need an internal supervisor from one of these groups (the "internal supervisor"). You do not need to fill in any contracts. Do NOT confuse these projects with PUK projects! Ask your internal supervisor if you have questions about these projects.
Written and/or oral feedback during the project work.
Oral feedback at the exam.
- 15 ECTS
- Type of assessment
Written assignmentOral examination, 60 min. (no preparation)
- Type of assessment details
- Written assignment (2/3 of final grade)
- Ongoing preparation throughout the course with submission at the end of the course.
Oral examination (1/3 of final grade)
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners
Criteria for exam assessment
In order to obtain the grade 12 the student should convincingly and accurately demonstrate the knowledge, skills and competences described under Learning Outcome.
Single subject courses (day)
- Project work
- Course number
- 15 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
- Block 1, Block 2, Block 3, Block 4 And Summer
Block 5 - Week 27-35
Meetings with supervisor.
- No limitation
The number of seats may be reduced in the late registration period
- Study Board for the Biological Area
- Department of Biology
- Department of Computer Science
- Faculty of Science
- Rasmus Heller (7-746a676e6e677442646b71306d7730666d)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students