English - Free topic C: The Contemporary Novel
This 15 ECTS course, co-taught by Helene Grøn and Christina Lupton, is focused on the reading of recent fiction. Students will read recent North American fiction alongside novels by British authors. The course will be divided into sections that addressing questions of 1) nation, the state and the institution 2) identity, sexuality and gender and 3) place and the changing environment. As well as asking what novels can contribute to these areas of awareness, we’ll be asking what means for a work to be contemporary – and how fiction can hope to capture the qualities of a period as turbulent and divisive as our own. All the readings in this course are tried and tested page-turners, guaranteed to make you stay up at night reading. As we move through the material, students will be encouraged to develop and research angles of their own interest in contemporary British and American society and will be given research support and feedback on essays before their final presentation.
Torrey Peters, Detransition Baby
Madeleine Miller, Song of Achilles
Anna Burns, Milkman
Kazuo Ishiguro, Klara and the Sun
Ben Lerner, Topeka School
Rachel Kushner, The Mars Room
Andre Alexis, Fifteen Dogs
Teju Cole, Open City
Ali Smith, Spring
Margareth Elphinstone, A Sparrow’s Flight
Sarah Moss, Ghost Wall
This course only leads to exams Free Topic 1, Free Topic 2 and Free Topic 3.
- 15 ECTS
- Type of assessment
Portfolio, A joint portfolio uploaded in digital exam: Deadline June 2nd 2023
- Type of assessment details
- • 5-7 page essay due in week 4 of the course, for ¼ of your
• 5-7 page essay due in week 10 of this course, for ¼ of your final grade.
• A presentation that refers to at least 2 novels in a joint student conference on the last day of the course. Synopsis, research questions, bibliography, powerpoint presentation etc. must be uploaded before the final day of the conference. The presentation + uploaded material will make up ½ of your final grade.
Criteria for exam assessment
Single subject courses (day)
- Class Instruction
- Course number
- 15 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
Full Degree Master choice
Dette er et dagkursus via tompladsordningen mod betaling på Åbent Universitet. Tilmeld dig og se aktuel prisoversigt på www.aabentuniversitet.hum.ku.dk
- Study board of English, Germanic and Romance Studies
- Department of English, Germanic and Romance Studies
- Faculty of Humanities
- Tina Jane Lupton (7-7d72776a757e7949717e7637747e376d74)
- Helene Grøn (12-6c6970697269326b76736972446c7971326f7932686f)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students