English - Free topic A: Foreign Language Acquisition: Theories and Practices (FLA)
The course offers an in-depth exploration of the current theories and principles in teaching and learning English as a foreign language. In this research-based course, special attention is given to the theories of first and foreign language acquisition and to the approaches and methods for teaching foreign languages. More specifically, students will familiarize themselves with the different factors that contribute to the development of foreign language proficiency and the cognitive processes involved in language acquisition and production. Throughout the course, students will apply these theories to make informed decisions about effective teaching practices. Finally, the course provides an overview of the different research methods utilized in studies that examine teaching and learning practices and processes, so the students will have an opportunity to experience all steps of the research processes first hand.
Classes, with particular emphasis on reading primary and secondary texts, oral discussion and developing proficiency in English.
This course only leads to exams Foreign Language Acqusition,
Free Topic 1, Free Topic 2 and Free Topic 3.
Students using this course to Foreign Language Acqusition will be given priority.
- 15 ECTS
- Type of assessment
Portfolio, A joint portfolio uploaded in digital exam: Deadline January 4th 2023
- Type of assessment details
- As part of the exam, the students will submit four assignments over the course of the semester, research questions (Nov. 1.), literature review (Nov. 10), methods and analysis (Nov. 20), results and discussion (Dec. 5). These assignments will be submitted at the end of the semester as part of a 21-15 page portfolio.
Criteria for exam assessment
Single subject courses (day)
- Class Instruction
- Course number
- 15 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
Full Degree Master choice
- Study board of English, Germanic and Romance Studies
- Department of English, Germanic and Romance Studies
- Faculty of Humanities
- Slobodanka Dimova (17-80797c6f7c716e7b786e3b71767a7c836e4d75827a3b78823b7178)
- Yao Zhang (9-7e6674337f6d66736c456d7a7233707a336970)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students