Cancelled Nutrition and Physical Activity for Healthy Ageing
This course is on the role of and interaction between nutrition and physical activity for healthy ageing, disease prevention and quality of life in the ageing population. The course includes a basic introduction to the field of gerontology, including the normal ageing processes, theories of ageing, and concepts of healthy ageing. The course also addresses age-related physiological, cognitive and psycosocial changes and the scientific evidence for the role of and interaction between nutrition and physical activity for healthy ageing.
MSc Programme in Human Nutrition
The main objectives of the course are to provide the students with knowledge, skills and competences in the role of and interaction between nutrition and physical activity for healthy ageing.
After completion of the course students should be able to:
- Describe demography of ageing and the ageing process
- Describe the physiological, cognitive and psycosocial changes that occur with normal ageing
- Describe the dietary intake and physical activity patterns of older adults and discuss their determinants
- Explain interactions between dietary intake and physical activity patterns and physiological, cognitive and psycosocial functions in adults
- Describe non-communicable diseases related to poor nutrition and physical inactivity in older
- Discuss intervention and population studies related to nutrition and physical activity for older adults, including restricting and promoting factors
- Critically discuss the current recommendations and guidelines for nutrition, including supplements and fortification, and physical activity for older adults
- Demonstrate ability to perform assessment of physical capacity in older adults
- Independently perform evidence-based assessment of the role of and interaction between nutrition and physical activity for healthy ageing
- Identify gaps in existing knowledge in relation to nutrition and physical activity for healthy ageing
Lectures, practical and theoretical exercises, group work.
Will be announced at study start at Absalon.
Basic knowledge about human physiology and nutrition physiology.
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree in life or health science is recommended.
The course is identical to NNEK15004U Nutrition and Physical
Activity for the Improvement of Health in the Aged.
It is not allowed to pass both courses.
Oral feedback from peers and teachers during the course.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
Written assignmentOral examination, 20 minutesWritten assignment throughout the course and hand-in at the end of the course
Oral examination, 20 minutes
Oral exam weighs 50%, written assignment weighs 50%.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Internal grading. Two assessors.
Criteria for exam assessment
See learning outcome.
Single subject courses (day)
- Study Groups
- Exam Preparation
- Course number
- 7,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
- Block 4
- Study Board of Food, Human Nutrition and Sports
- Department of Nutrition, Exercise and Sports
- Department of Public Health
- Faculty of Science
- Inge Tetens (3-6f7a6b46746b7e7934717b346a71)
- Ylva Hellsten (9-7b6a676e6e757667704270677a75306d7730666d)
- Charlotte Juul Nilsson (4-6a717570477a7c756b35727c356b72)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students