Cancelled Food Structure and Functional Ingredients
The course focuses on food structure on multiple length-scales (nm to mm), the food ingredients used to generate and stabilize such structures. Food properties and functionality related to structure such as texture, rheology and mouthfeel.
The following core subjects will be covered: Food Ingredients with emphasis on fat/oils, polysaccharides (thickeners and gelators), proteins and emulsifiers. Phase behavior and phase diagrams of food components and their mixtures. Dispersed system and their stability: Emulsions, foams, sols and gels. Interaction of hydrophobic or electrostatic origin. Science of interfaces in food: surface and interfacial tensions, adsorption to surfaces and contact angles. Structural characterization of food and simple systems of components in terms of x-ray and light based techniques
MSc Programme in Food Science and Technology
- Understanding of concepts of food structure
- Knowledge of the interactions and forces that stabilizes and destabilizes colloidal systems and create and stabilize structure.
- Understanding of phase diagrams and the theory behind phase diagram.
- Knowledge of surface chemistry and theory of surface tension.
- Knowledge of complex food systems using colloidal chemical concepts.
- Skills in presenting and explaining complex relations and theory and relating it to practical implications within food structure and stability.
- Skills in applying theoretical concepts and making calculations.
- Skills in selecting appropriate ingredients for specific applications, based on scientific principles.
- Ability to theoretically evaluate ingredient functionality in food systems.
- Competences in choosing experimental techniques to study properties of foods, based on colloidal chemical knowledge
Lectures, group work, theoretical exercises, poster presentations, open discussion.
See Absalon for a list of course literature.
Qualifications within the field of basic chemistry, basic
physical chemistry, and basic food chemistry on bachelor level is
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree is recommended.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
Oral examination, 20 minOral examination without preparation time. The examination takes its starting point in one of the posters produced by the student.
The student draws a poster and presents it. The presentation soon develops into a scientific conversation with the examiners. The examiners pose questions in the full curriculum and might include supplementary materials (graphs, tables, pictures and drawings).
- Without aids
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners
Criteria for exam assessment
See Learning Outcome
Single subject courses (day)
- Theory exercises
- Project work
- Course number
- 7,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
- Block 3
- The number of seats may be reduced in the late registration period
- Study Board of Food, Human Nutrition and Sports
- Department of Food Science
- Faculty of Science
- Jens Risbo (3-7a827950767f7f743e7b853e747b)
- Jacob Judas Kain Kirkensgaard (4-7b7b7c7c51778080753f7c863f757c)
Local teachers from FOOD and guest teachers from industry
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students