Mobile Computing (MC)
The course gives an overview of mobile, ubiquitous, and wearable computing interfaces, including commercial devices such as mobile phones, smart watches, augmented reality glasses, smart speakers and other home devices, as well as research interfaces such as public displays, smart jewelry, or body-based user interfaces. The course sheds light on two fundamental aspects of mobile computing: (1) the technological foundations of mobile computing interfaces; and (2) the user interface requirements for such novel computing interfaces.
The course contains advanced material on both technological foundations and interaction styles on mobile interfaces. In more detail, after taking this class, you will be able to…
- Explain the challenges of interacting with mobile, wearable, and ubiquitous devices
- Articulate different approaches from the research literature towards overcoming those challenges
- Rapidly prototype designs for interacting with mobile devices
- Design study procedures for evaluating mobile interfaces
MSc Programme in Computer Science
- Challenges particular to mobile, wearable, and ubiquitous user interfaces.
- Current research aimed at solving those challenges.
- Building prototypes of software and/or hardware to solve challenges in mobile, wearable, and ubiquitous computing.
- Designing and performing evaluations of prototypes.
- Designing applications to solve a range of interaction challenges for mobile, wearable, and ubiquitous devices and scenarios.
- Selecting appropriate measures for evaluating such applications.
Lectures will alternate between technical foundations and user interface challenges. During some of the lectures, students will give presentations on topics related to class, and their progress on their projects (developing and evaluating a mobile/wearable/ubiquitous device prototype).
See Absalon for a list of selected scientific papers and book chapters.
It is strongly suggested that students have participated in a
fundamental Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) course, e.g.,
Interaction Design. Advanced Topics in Human-Centered Computing
(ATHCC) is also relevant.
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree is recommended.
PhD’s can register for MSc-course by following the same procedure as credit-students, see link above.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
Written assignment, during courseWritten examination, 3 daysSpecifically, the exam consists of two parts:
1. A group project developed during the course and documented with a report wherein the individual contributions are stated (60%) (written assignment)
2. An individual 3-day take-home exam (40%) (written exam)
The project is 60% of the grade and the take-home exam is the remaining 40%. However, both parts of the exam must be passed in order to pass the exam, i.e. each part must achieve at least the grade 02.
It is not possible to reuse parts of the exam at a later exam. It is however possible to resubmit a revised project report.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners.
Criteria for exam assessment
In order to earn the grade 12, students must demonstrate the knowledge, skills and competences described in the Learning Outcome.
Single subject courses (day)
- Practical exercises
- Project work
- Course number
- 7,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
- Block 4
- no limit
The number of seats may be reduced in the late registration period
- Study Board of Mathematics and Computer Science
- Department of Computer Science
- Faculty of Science
- Daniel Lee Ashbrook (3-69667345696e33707a336970)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students