Bioinformatics Project 2
The exact content is decided with the supervisor.
MSc Programme in Bioinformatics
The aim with these projects is to get a deep understanding of a bioinformatics topic often related to a research project. This is often a practical biological application using the computational methods you have been introduced to in other courses, e.g. testing a biological hypothesis on massive data sets. It may also be the implementation of a new method using python or some other programming language or an entirely theoretical project.
- Write a bioinformatics report
- Search for background material
- Select and use relevant bioinformatics tools for a specific project
The student will obtain these general competences
- Ability to do project work
- Writing a scientific report
- Presenting work orally
- Analyze complex real-world problems
Individual project with a supervisor.
Knowledge within bioinformatics. Programming at least at the
level of "Linux and Python Programming" is recommended.
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree is recommended.
You have to find a project topic and a supervisor before the start of the block. If your supervisor is external (not in Bioinformatics at Department of Biology or at DIKU), you also need an internal supervisor from one of these groups (the "internal supervisor"). You do not need to fill in any contracts. Do NOT confuse these projects with PUK projects! Ask your internal supervisor if you have questions about these projects.
Written and/or oral feedback during the project work.
Oral feedback at the exam.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
Written assignmentOral examination, 60 min. (no preparation)Written assignment, min. 2000 words (2/3 of final grade)
- Ongoing preparation throughout the course with submission at the end of the course.
Oral examination (1/3 of final grade)
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners
Criteria for exam assessment
In order to achieve the grade 12 the student must
- Complete a project in bioinformatics, which adresses an important problem and presents a solution, or a partial solution, at an adequate level.
- Identify relevant literature and understand the parts relevant for their project.
- Write a scientifically precise report, which motivates their work, clearly presents the background, presents the methods and results of the work without errors, discusses the implications of the results and draws scientifically sound conclusions based on the work.
- Present the work in a clear and scientifically satisfactory way, including motivation, methods, results, main achievements and future outlook.
- Answer questions about any part of the project in reasonable depth and explain the core methods and results of the project in great detail.
- Put the work in context and discuss possible future directions of research in the area and judge the relevance of such work.
Single subject courses (day)
- Project work
- Course number
- 7,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
- Block 1, Block 2, Block 3, Block 4 And Summer
Meetings with supervisor.
- No limitation
The number of seats may be reduced in the late registration period
- Study Board for the Biological Area
- Department of Biology
- Department of Computer Science
- Faculty of Science
- Rasmus Heller (7-776d6a71716a7745676e7433707a336970)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students