Value Based Health Care - the future for the health care sector?
Value Based Health Care (VBHC) is a delivery model, where value is defined as the outcomes achieved for patients relative to costs. VBHC focuses on achieving predetermined patient outcomes whilst optimizing the use of resources through integrated healthcare.
This course will address the following:
- Introduction to Value Based Healthcare (VBHC)
- The theory of VBHC and public management theory
- Digital health, what is it?
- Practicing VBHC, examples from the real world
- New players and business models for industry
- The new competition, digital companies and why data is the new gold
- Impact on patients, what are patient relevent outcomes and how are they different from today?
Master of Industrial Drug Development - elective
Master of Medicines Regulatory Affairs - elective
The course is pre-approved as an elective course in the professional master's programmes: Master of Industrial Drug Development (MIND) and Master of Medicines Regulatory Affairs (MRA). It is also open to single course students who meet the admission criteria.
Upon completion of the course participants will have gained the following knowledge, skills and competencies:
- Understand major issues of developing and implementing VBHC initiatives including potential barriers
- Understand how value is created between the various stakeholders
- Identify key challenges in the development of VBHC and suggest solutions for these
- Discuss rationales for and consequences of VBHC plans and initiatives
- Design and develop novel interdisciplinary approaches within the field of VBHC aimed at improving current practice
- Critically reflect upon VBHC proposals and practices
- Communicate VBHC specific issues and proposals to other specialists and stakeholders
- Cooperate within a multi-disciplinary VBHC development project team
This is an intensive 5-day course. Teaching methods consist of a combination of lectures, group discussions, case studies, presentations, simulation exercises and panel discussions.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
• A relevant bachelor degree or equivalent
• A minimum of 2 years of relevant job experience
• Proficiency in English
- 3 ECTS
- Type of assessment
Written assignmentA written assignment (essay) between 8 and 15 pages long based on an extended literature list.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- passed/not passed
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Examiner: Janine M. Traulsen
Criteria for exam assessment
To achieve the grade passed, the participant shall (in an adequate level) be able to demonstrate:
- Describe and discuss the basic principles of VBHC – weighing the pros and cons
- Applying basic VBHC techniques and principles into practical cases
- Identifying realistic tools for introducing VBHC into a given health care environment
- Work in a multidisciplinary VBHC team
- Suggest a VBHC approach to improving current practices
- Plan and implement basic VBHC inspired initiatives
Part time Master and Diploma courses
- Class Instruction
- Course number
- 3 ECTS
- Programme level
- Part Time Master
DKK 19,900. Fee includes teaching, course materials, all meals during course and examination.
19-23 August 2019
- 25 persons maximum
- Study Board for the Professionel Master´s Degree Programmes at The Faculty og Health and Medical Science
- Department of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
- Janine Marie Traulsen (15-7067746f746b347a78677b72796b7446797b746a34717b346a71)
Marlene Gyldmark; Janine M. Traulsen; additional teachers - to be announced
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students