Categories and Topology (CatTop)
Topics in algebraic topology centered around the use of categories in homotopy theory and simplicial methods. Topics include simplicial sets, nerves of categories, classifying spaces, homotopy (co)limits, localization and completion, algebraic K-theory.
MSc Programme in Mathematics
- Knowledge: To display knowledge of the course topics and content, at the level of a beginning researcher.
- Skills: To be able to use the acquired knowledge to perform computations.
- Competencies: To be able to produce independent proofs in
the acquired knowledge.
4 hours lectures and 3 hours exercises per week for 9 weeks.
In previous years lecture notes were used. It will be aimed to make these notes available from Absalon and/or the lecturers homepage.
AlgTopI and HomAlg or similar. Knowledge of AlgTop1.5 and
AlgTopII will be advantageous. (This corresponds roughly to Chapter
1-5 in Hatcher's book Algebraic Topology.)
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree is recommended.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
Continuous assessmentWeekly written exercises. The scores on the weekly written exercises are weighted equally in determining the final grade.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
One internal examiner
Criteria for exam assessment
The student must in a satisfactory way demonstrate that he/she has mastered the learning outcome.
Single subject courses (day)
- Theory exercises
- Course number
- 7,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
- No limit
- Study Board of Mathematics and Computer Science
- Department of Mathematical Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Jesper Grodal (2-79764f7c7083773d7a843d737a)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students