Dairy Processes and Equipment
The course primarily deals with processes and equipment with applications specific to the dairy industry, including both processing lines for specific products and processes/equipment with wide application ranges in the dairy industry. Fundamental aspects of cleaning are also covered.
Furthermore, the course deals with technological innovations, which have been implemented recently as well as developments, optimizations and trends within well-established technologies, e.g. for improvement of environmental impact.
MSc Programme in Food Science and Technology
The course provides knowledge about equipment, production and
cleaning processes in the dairy industry, the principles of
selected technological innovations in processing of
dairy products and recent developments within process
- Identify and describe the principle(s) behind the processes and equipment needed in production of selected dairy products
- Describe common cleaning processes and the functionality of different cleaning agents.
- Reflect on effects of developments and optimizations performed
to improve process efficiency (e.g. water and energy saving,
- Analyse complex unit operations and processes in the dairy industry and apply previously obtained knowledge of physics and chemistry to them
- Analyse data obtained for characterization of processing effects on physical and chemical properties of dairy products
- Solve theoretical problems regarding processes and
equipment needed for production of specific dairy products
- Discuss measures for optimization of process performance in production of dairy products
- Discuss the contribution of different unit operations to product properties, and the value of different product streams in production of selected dairy products
The course will be based on lectures, theoretical exercises,
pilot plant practicals and excursions. Some topics will be covered
by external lecturers from the industry.
Minor costs for one-day excursions (e.g. transportation) are paid by the students.
See Absalon for at list of course literature. It will include a collection of reviews, book chapters, and original scientific litterature.
Competencies within the field of food process equipment are
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree is recommended.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
Written examination, 4 hours under invigilationWritten examination of theoretical exercises with a mixture of open questions and calculations.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners
Criteria for exam assessment
See Learning Outcome
Single subject courses (day)
- Practical exercises
- Theory exercises
- Course number
- 7,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
- Study Board of Food, Human Nutrition and Sports
- Department of Food Science
- Faculty of Science
- Anni Bygvrå Hougaard (4-7273797851778080753f7c863f757c)
- Lilia Ahrné (5-7e7b7e7b735278818176407d8740767d)
Local teachers from FOOD and guest teachers from industry.
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students