Elective course - The feeling of being: Theoretical and Empirical Approaches to the Study of Human Consciousness
This course introduces the main theoretical models and the empirical methods employed to explain and measure consciousness. Students are offered the opportunity to learn about the neurobiological mechanisms possibly underlying the emergence of consciousness and to grasp why science needs to embrace also conceptual and philosophical levels of analysis. The course outlines the multi-faceted nature of consciousness by discussing different aspects of the phenomenon in normal as well as in abnormal conditions. Students are encouraged throughout the course to actively participate in discussions and to make critical thinking regarding the current state of knowledge about how the brain relates to the mind.
The purpose of these modules is to expand knowledge or put the psychological subject area into perspective through theoretical or empirical specialisation within subject areas within or related to psychology.
Upon completion of the elective subject module within the Department of Psychology, students are able to:
- describe and account for relevant concepts and themes within the elective subject
- describe and account for relevant methodological approaches in relation to the subject matter for the elective subject
- explain contexts, analyse and/or conduct procedures relevant to the elective subject under supervision.
Registration period November 15 - December 1 or May 15 - June 1
International students can find information on course registration and deadlines at psychology.ku.dk.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
Written assignmentFree written assignment submitted in Digital Eksamen according to the exam schedule.
The exam paper can be written in groups of maximum 3 students.
1 student max 12 pages, 2 students max 15 pages and 3 students max 18 pages
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Criteria for exam assessment
Vejledende karakterbeskrivelse (Danish)
- Class Instruction
- Course number
- 7,5 ECTS
- Programme level
- Full Degree Master
1 semester10 weeks, starts week 6 or 36
- About 30 students per class, 15 Bachelor and 15 Master students
- Department of Psychology, Study Council
- Department of Psychology
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Claudia Carrara-Augustenborg (14-6a6a687c6e7c7a7b6c756976796e47777a8035727c356b72)
Are you BA- or KA-student?
Courseinformation of students